Sunday, September 29, 2013

Time for Lunch

Well, so far it's been Matt driving this blog. And I appreciate the time and energy he's put it into it. But pretty much since he established the blog, he's been on me to post something.

"What on earth would I blog about?"
"I dunno. You could blog about what you ate at lunch."
"Yogurt and a diet shake?"

OK I made that part up.

I really SHOULD be eating yogurt and drinking diet shakes for lunch. But instead, I get tempted...

See, I work in a neighborhood that has a completely respectable selection of lunch places. And while it ain't ever gonna be Farragut Square in terms of its lunch options, it does have a decent selection of food trucks. For the most part, I can always count on a smattering of halal carts that never move, plus an almost daily appearance of a middle eastern cart called Mediterranean Delight that does really fresh, really tasty kabobs (in a pita, on a salad, or over rice). And then there are carts and trucks that visit a couple times a week, including a couple Mexican trucks (La Tingeria, Rito Loco, District Taco), a cheesesteak/spiedie truck (Bada Bing), and a couple Asian fusion trucks (Lime Tree, Korean BBQ Taco Box, Lemon Grass). We're not hip enough to get the Red Hook Lobster Truck more than a couple times a month - probably just as well, since that one is pretty expensive.

Plus we have SweetGreen, which I like because it's reasonably healthy and quite tasty. And a Chipotle. And an odd little food court in an odd little shopping mall (Ballston - such a sad little shopping mall), but the food court's offerings are actually more independent. Yes, there's a McDo and a subway, but there's also a decent-for-the-price Thai takeout place and a Salvadoran place with awesome pupusas. And if you have more time and money to spend on your lunch, there's always Rustico, Willow, and Grand Cru café.

All of which is to say...my lunch hour is a tortured experience for me. I really should eat in more - it's healthier, it's cheaper. I even set myself up with some cool accoutrements, thinking that if I have real silverware and a real - and beautiful, really - ceramic plate and bowl, maybe just maybe I'll be better about bringing my lunch and eating at work. But then a colleague will pop into my cubelet with a "hey, I'm going to the salad place (aka SweetGreen). Wanna go?" or "Hey, that Indian food truck you like is here today. Wanna join me?" And I cave.

So maybe just maybe, on the occasional blog posts that I write, I'll feature some lunch boxes. I see those twee bento box blogs and pins. Maybe this blog will inspire me.

Or maybe not.

Patti's Ballston Lunch Favorites:
Food truck: Mediterranean Delight
Quick service local establishment: SweetGreen
Quick service national chain: Chipotle
Table service: Grand Cru Café

1 comment:

  1. Let's so lunch post surgery! I have to walk as a part of my post-op recovery, so I could meet you for food truck fun in Ballston!

    ReplyDelete